Tumblr is a social networking site that has captivated teenagers and pre-teens since its inception in 2007, making them utterly obsessed with it. It has gained particular popularity among those involved in fandom culture, whether it be Hogwarts, Middle Earth, animes, games, or even academia enthusiasts. Tumblr encompasses a diverse community, including the famous “science side of Tumblr.”
On Tumblr, you can connect with others, share your own ideas through blogs, and engage with content created by fellow users. For aspiring bloggers looking to establish their presence in the digital world, Tumblr is the ideal platform to explore. Its user-friendly features are well-suited for beginners, and you don’t need to possess extensive technical knowledge to navigate the site. This accessibility also increases the reach of your blog. Additionally, Tumblr provides a free publishing platform, eliminating any financial barriers.
However, if you’re a Tumblr blogger or a frequent visitor to the site for inspiration, you may encounter occasional hiccups along the way. One common issue is when a Tumblr blog only opens on the dashboard or redirects to the dashboard. But fret not, as we are here to assist you in resolving this problem.
Tumblr Blog Redirects to Dashboard
First, let’s clarify what we mean by the Tumblr dashboard. The dashboard functions similarly to the news feed on other social networking sites. It displays posts from the accounts you follow and keeps you updated on their activity. Additionally, it suggests blogs based on your interests and the accounts you follow.
When you log in to Tumblr, the dashboard is the first screen you encounter. It allows you to create new posts, view content from others, and engage with the Tumblr community. The issue you’re facing is that sometimes when you attempt to open a Tumblr blog, it redirects you back to the dashboard.
Now, let’s address why Tumblr redirects to the dashboard. This behavior typically occurs when you have hidden your blog on Tumblr. When a blog is hidden, it can only be viewed within the Tumblr dashboard. It lacks a dedicated URL, preventing it from being opened in a separate tab or window. This means that anyone trying to access your hidden blog will automatically be redirected to the dashboard.
To check the visibility of your blog, look for the toggle button associated with hiding your blog. If the toggle is turned on, it indicates that your blog is hidden from others. Consequently, anyone trying to access it will be redirected to the dashboard.
By reviewing the visibility settings of your blog and adjusting them accordingly, you can resolve the issue of Tumblr blogs redirecting to the dashboard.
How to Fix the Redirecting of Tumblr Blog to the Dashboard?
The restriction of accessing blogs only through the dashboard may limit your enjoyment of the Tumblr experience. However, the situation of “Tumblr blog only opens in dashboard” is not permanent, and there are ways to overcome this issue. It’s important to acknowledge that there might be instances where a solution is not available. Here’s a workaround to address this problem:
- Access the settings on Tumblr by clicking on the account icon in the dashboard.
- Select the specific blog that you were unable to open outside of the dashboard.
- If the visibility of your blog has been altered, meaning you have hidden it from others, you will need to unhide your blog to resolve this issue. To do this, navigate to the visibility settings of your blog.
- Switch off the toggle button located next to the option that allows you to hide your blog.
- Once you’ve completed these steps, your blog should no longer be restricted to opening only within the dashboard, and you should be able to access it freely.
By following these instructions and adjusting the visibility settings of your blog, you can overcome the challenge of limited access and enjoy a more flexible Tumblr experience.
Tumblr Blogs Only Opening in Sidebar
When you are on the Tumblr dashboard and click on a username, whether it appears in your feed, messaging box, or search results, you will notice that the blog launches in a sidebar on the screen instead of loading as it would on a regular website.
This sidebar view can be convenient if you only need to quickly check a few posts on a blog. However, we understand that it can be frustrating, especially when combined with an unresponsive dashboard, as it hinders the idea of spending quality browsing time on your favorite blogs.
Regrettably, this is a deliberate design choice made by Tumblr, and there is no toggle switch available to change this behavior.
How to Fix the Issue of Tumblr Blogs Only Opening in Sidebar?
The sidebar issue can be quite bothersome, but fortunately, there are several ways to work around it.
Here, we will list some methods to fix this problem:
- Opening in respective tabs: The simplest way to overcome the sidebar issue is by opening Tumblr blogs in separate tabs. Instead of manually inserting the URLs into new tabs, you can do it directly from the dashboard. Right-click on the Tumblr username or avatar of the person who posted the blog. In the context menu, select the option “Open link in new tab.” This will open the blog in a new tab, allowing you to browse without the sidebar interference. Just keep in mind that the new tab will open in the background, so switch to the respective tabs as needed.
- Mouse and Keyboard Shortcuts: If you dislike right-clicking, there are alternative shortcuts available. If you have a mouse with a middle button, simply click on the middle button of the scrollbar to open the blog in a new tab. This is a quick and convenient method that avoids dealing with menus.
- Using Chrome Extensions: For Chrome users, the extensive collection of Chrome extensions can come to the rescue. Some recommended extensions for this purpose are “Click to Tab” or “Long Press New Tab.” These extensions eliminate the need for menus or mouse and keyboard shortcuts to open Tumblr blogs in new tabs. However, it’s worth noting that these extensions may attempt to open all encountered links in new tabs, so you can enable them specifically for your Tumblr sessions. To activate or deactivate installed extensions, click on the three-dot menu in Chrome, select “More Tools,” and then choose “Extensions.” From there, you can search for the option to enable or disable the desired Chrome extensions, allowing you to open Tumblr blogs in separate tabs using these extensions.
By utilizing these methods, you can bypass the sidebar issue and enjoy a more seamless browsing experience on Tumblr.
Discovering that you couldn’t open blogs in separate tabs must have been a major disappointment. The inability to scroll through your favorite blogs comfortably can be frustrating. If you’re a blogger yourself, this issue becomes even more troublesome as you wonder how others interested in your blogs will also face the challenge of Tumblr blogs only opening in the sidebar or on the dashboard. We understand your concerns, which is why we have provided this article to help you overcome the issue and understand why Tumblr redirects to the dashboard in the first place. Now you can go ahead and enjoy your blogs without limitations. As for bloggers, rest assured that there are ways for people to navigate your blog with ease, ensuring that your hard work doesn’t go to waste.